Tuesday, November 28, 2006

 

Thimble Spillage Explained

Just got a text from Dr Fluffy Pete (hope he never finds out that after seeing Toy Story 2 we renamed him Stinky Pete) stating in his own unique and inimitable way that he didn't quite grasp the concept of thimble spillage. I think I have also explained it to everyone else that has asked, but I will also put my answer here, if only for my own help if ever I come to writing the book. ...

ok. thimble spillage for dummies.... (meant in the book series sense, not inferring anything about the recipient of the answer)

Current 'expert' opinion is that I have Aspergers Syndrome, which is an Autistic Spectrum Disorder. (with me so far?) the short version of this is 'Aspie'.

one of the experts in this field, Tony Attwood, says that whereas normal people have an emotional bucket, Aspie's have a thimble, which means they get easily full up. it also applies to other things not just emotions. so for example, NTs (neuro-typicals, normal people) will have a social bucket, which means that they like to have lots of contact with other people to feel happy. Aspies will generally have a social thimble, so it might be that 5 mins at the pub will do us just fine, or a short conversation with 1 person after church, rather than chit chat with the entire congregation (or we might just leave, speaking to no0-one).

in the case of emotions, it might take a lot to get an NT angry, or frustrated, or scared, or stressed out. etc etc. Very little can fill the Aspie's emotional thimble.

I personally invented the term 'thimble spillage' (patent pending!) for times when my emotional thimble gets full, ...and overflows (often in a bad way, where I lose control)

so, what might not seem a big deal to somebody elsecan really flip me out, and i will display certain behaviours that mean i have lost it. I tend to pace, kick or throw things (often repetitively) fiddle with or spin something, or rock backwards and forwards. or i might just space out and disconnect from the situation. or i might start talking to myself. depends.

if you are referring to my latest blog entry about missing my aspie angel, then dealing with thimble spillage means that this person was able to a) not get freaked out by my weird behaviour b) understand what was going on (or at least try to), despite my inability to communcate c) calm me down again (some people can't do this, they aggravate thimble spillage)

so, yeah. thats thimble spillage. get back to me if its still not clear.

Comments:
I'm going to have to watch Toy Story 2 at some point...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?